Monday, September 19, 2011

Sick Day

Oof.  I have a nasty, nasty cold. I swear, I am always the early adopter for whatever crud is in season.  Fashion - I'm the last to check something out. But viruses? - I'm all over that.

So I'm sick.  I'm bored too - being sick was a lot more fun when I was 9 and could watch Charles in Charge and eat toast all day. Now I try to catch up on laundry and worry about what'll await me at work tomorrow.

But the good news is I didn't go off plan at all.  I was feeling like I needed soup, so I decided to make myself a vat of broccoli soup.  Yum:


Since I've promised to share recipes, here's my best attempt at recreating this:

1 1/2 pounds of broccoli florets (half a giant costco bag)
About 3-4 cups of beef stock or water
1/2 tablespoon of dijon mustard
dash of Worcestershire sauce
pinch of garlic powder (to taste)
pinch of cayenne pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
1+ cups of sharp shredded cheddar and/or other sharp cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped bacon and extra shredded cheese

Directions:

Cook broccoli and stock in large stock pot until broccoli is soft.  Blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender in small batches.  Bring to a simmer. Add more liquid until consistency is thick but not too thick. Add mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Turn off heat and whisk in cream and cheese.  Top with shredded cheese and bacon crumbles.

This makes a lot of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment