Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Joy of A Home Elliptical

At the moment last year when I realized that my weight was keeping me from being able to do things I loved, like hiking, I impulsively ordered an elliptical machine.  I got a good deal from Nordic Track and arranged for it to be delivered and set up in my spare bedroom, where I promptly ignored it for a few months.  I mainly ignored it because I was doing most of my exercise with my dog, who I adopted around the same time.

Now that I'm in slightly better shape and feeling like exercising more, I've been using the elliptical a lot more, and I have to say I LOVE having it.  Elliptical and recumbent bike are the two machines I've ever used religiously at my gym, and having it at home is wonderful.

Why do I love it so much?

1 - Waking up and walk 10 feet to use it.  In the past, to go to the gym, I would have had to get dressed, bundle up, travel to the gym, etc. That cuts into both my desire to go in the first place and the time I have to spend there.

2 - I can wear whatever the fuck I want. I can use it in my underwear. I often use it in my pajamas. The dog doesn't care.

3 - The iPad fits perfectly in the magazine rack, and I can watch shows on Netflix while using it.

4 - No mirrors in my second bedroom, so I don't have to see my flab bouncing as I work out.

5 - It's a good way to kill a few minutes.  I don't have to take a whole trip to the gym. I can just do a short workout if that's all I have time for. Whereas now I do a minimum of 20 minutes in the morning, which is a perfectly good workout. I've also been trying to do some in the evening but I need to work on my schedule.

6 - I can drink fresh coffee in the mornings while I work out. Yeah, it might not be the best thing for hydration but it works for me! Oooh maybe sometime I'll try a gin and tonic!

7 - Hell is other people, especially other people at the gym. I don't have to see those disgustingly fit people at the gym, or get harassed by trainers trying to sell me their services. Everyone just leaves me the hell alone, which is the way I like it.

8 - The shower's right there too.  Bed --> Elliptical --> shower and I'm still in the same 25-foot radius!

9 - No time limits or dirty looks from people waiting.  I can watch a whole movie when I'm in the mood.

10 - Bare feet, which means my feet never get numb from my shoes and the repetitive motion.

All in all, it's a huge help to my fitness regimen and I wish I'd gotten it years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment