Monday, July 16, 2012

Tanita Scale: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Over the last few weeks, I got down to about 198 and then bounced right back to around 204 and stayed there. I suspected it was due to that Time of the Month (I can gain as much as 10 pounds) but I found it particularly infuriating because I was working out soooo damn hard and eating soooo damn well. I've gotten up to swimming TWO miles a day several times a week, in addition to the dog walking and occasional elliptical-ing.  That means I can officially swim more in one session than I can run. Ha!

Anyway, the scale was pissing me off royally, and I started to suspect a conspiracy was at play. I also lost my trust in the scale because it varied so much depending on its floor placement and where I stood (and anyone who's ever been on a diet knows you'll move across the floor until you find the spot that gives you the lowest number). 

So I decided to order a Tanita scale, which measures weight as well as body fat, and is supposed to be very reliable.

I used it right after swimming tonight.  The good news: I weighed 199 on it, instead of my old scale which had me at 203 (booo! Hisssss!).  So we're friends because of that.

BUT the body fat came out at 42%. FORTY TWO PERCENT of me is fat. With that much fat, I'm basically a bratwurst, or a fine piece of cheddar, or a giant cashew. Ickkkk.

I think I'll like this scale though. With all the working out I'm doing it'll be good to see the impact on my fat. I've been losing inches, especially around my waist. I rocked a size 14 J. Crew dress today (their sizes run smallish) and got a bazillion compliments at work. I love my coworkers.

So that's where we are. I'm trucking along, swimming my ass off, eating well, and doing the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment